Skip to main content

I knew something stunk about the Conservative's surplus

Where's the bodies?
In this case, where's the expected deficit?
The Ottawa Citizen has the answer.
$8.7 billion went unspent by the government, this year, which clawed back this money from programs and services across Canada after it had already been allocated for spending.
That's bad. That's actually incredibly irresponsible. It's damn near criminal.
I know my own family had work relying on federal monies this past summer, and then the money simply vanished, and the bottom fell out of our plans. We really had to scramble about these past few months after we had expected to be working.
And if my family was hit by this, then I can imagine hundreds more families like mine were also affected by this, and hundreds of businesses, too. That's thousands and thousands of workers. That's real money that's disappearing from the economy. That's work that disappears, and jobs that are lost.
What's worse is the government clawed back $8.7 billion from the real economy, and they still only had a $1.9 billion surplus. That's laughable.
News organizations were quick to bury the stories of the $1.9 billion surplus, probably because of this news. $8.7 billion is a huge number, and people, even dim ones like me, can put two and two together, and end up with the answer it was the government that robbed me of work.
At any rate, shows what I know. I underestimated this government, big time. I had thought they'd fudged $3 billion at most. $8.7 billion, on the other hand, is more than twice my estimate, and is nearly impressive.
All this money disappearing from the real economy also probably explains Canada entering into recession, recently. Well, to be honest, Canada's recession probably has a few contributing factors, such as the Chinese stock market crash, and the low price of oil. But with proper controls in place, Canada shouldn't have been experiencing too much turmoil from those events. Not that Canada has those proper controls, but whatever.
In a nation full of fresh water lakes and rivers, we should be able to find at least a paddle to steer the Canadian economy away from trouble, right? A couple of J strokes, and we're sailing clear of trouble.
Anyway, this is the sort of decision that actually hurts people. I hope people make the Conservatives hurt in return at the voting booth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What'll likely happen in the next couple of years from Covid-19 spread

Honestly, I can't quite wrap my head around the fact governments allowed spread of misinformation that gave them cover to allow spread of this virus unchecked. Covid-19's not going to go away at this rate. Any and all mitigation efforts are left to the individual, and nary a care about society as a whole. Then again, I can believe what has happened. It's happened before, historically. Cholera was allowed to spread unchecked for decades before governments ever bothered to do anything about sanitation. TB was basically controlled on the private level and ignored on the social. Any and every virus/bacteria that could spread was allowed to spread unchecked without much effort to thwart spread from government officials. Edgar Allan Poe didn't write "The Masque of the Red Death" out of a sense of hope for what the rich and powerful were doing in regards to illness in the early 19th century, after all. No, I can believe what has happened, and quite easily. I come fro

The way forward

I've been a in deep, deep depression these past couple years. I'm naturally manic-depressive, but I've also been genuinely sad, without an inkling of what I've needed to do in my personal life. I've been lost, and I've lost some friends. Well, I'm still lost, but I'm emerging from my sadness. I've taken a lot of time to think whilst in my funk. I'd been thinking, "How do we extricate ourselves out of this mess we've placed ourselves? What is the way forward?" I've found no answer. There's no clear path forward. There's no strategy, no long term plan that can really account for every possible setback that will occur. I suppose that's true of all plans, though. "Plans are worthless, but planning is everything." The solution then, I guess, is we need to wing it. Improvise. Get tough, and push forward. Suffer the pains from the blows we will receive, without flinching. Start moving forward to a place we wan

The First Nations Financial Transparency Act

I was angry, yesterday. Said some harsh words. I'm calmer, today. Still thinking on the First Nations Financial Transparency Act. Such a racist act. It's not an act which does what it purports to do. Rather, it's meant to open up First Nations governments like a tin can, so that the government can do as it wants to First Nations people, and more importantly, do as it will with the lands First Nations people live upon. Scoop out resources and title as one would sardines. It's designed to shame and ridicule our First Nations leaders. Mistakes, and deficits are the same as crimes, according to this act. And the government can spin any audit into any shape it wants, if it pays the right company the right price. Remember that sham audit of Attawapiskat? Imagine that, but across the nation of Canada. And when it does its job of marginalizing our First Nations leaders, the government then has full authority to replace our leadership with third party management. Which is