Skip to main content

Manic Depression: a reaction to the death of Robin Williams

Robin Williams didn't have depression. He had manic depression, which is entirely different.
I have it. I'll share my own story. It's not really directed at any one person, but I hope people will take what I say to heart.
It's the brain. Thoughts don't travel through it normally, not at all. They simply race through the brain, untethered. Looping, looping. Thoughts don't go from point a to point b. They go there, and come back, bearing gifts, and having pupped children, too, but only after having made numerous stops on the way. They might have even done some laps or two, like they were racing Nascar. But since these are manic thoughts, they kept turning right.
Manic depression isn't at all sadness. It's closer to insanity. And when you're in the midst of an episode of manic, you might not even realize until after you've entered the circus tent, and then burned it all down to the ground that perhaps you're not quite right in the head.
It's being out of your mind. Except for the few moments of lucidity you might have to yourself in the day, and you're thinking, "I didn't want to do that, at all."
And then, all your physical energy crashes, like you've come down from a week long caffeine rush, and have nothing left, ever. And still your racing thoughts are trapped in a body that doesn't want to do anything, and so, there must be something wrong with you. And so the body fights off the manic crash off like it's fighting off an illness.
All you want is peace from your thoughts. Robin Williams has that peace, now, I suppose, although by now, I bet he'd be thinking, I didn't want to do that, at all.
You know, through his work, as a whole, he perfectly illustrated Manic Depression. Unrestrained in his comedy, never settling, never resting, never breaking for any one topic. He unpredictably raced through one topic, already moving onto the next.
And in his movie roles, he was conflicted, restrained, sombre, and lonely.
Lonely, yeah. There's honestly a thousand miles of thoughts between you and the world.
It's easier just to fake your way through it.
They say, don't suffer in silence. Fuck that. Let me suffer in silence. That way when I next make some noise, I can show you my best side.
And unless there's some miracle drug out there that forces all the thoughts in my head to queue up, and let themselves be resolved one by one like they're banking customers cashing cheques and making deposits, I don't know what else someone can do for me. All I want, all I'm sure other sufferers of this probably want, too, (I'm not a spokesman for any organization, so I'm not speaking from any sort of authority) is for people to understand, and if not that, then at least fake it like you do.
Well-meaning but misplace sympathy is just as bad as ignorance. I don't want it. Save for it a noble cause.
Learn about it, too, Manic Depression. Know there's no cure, merely learning to live with it.
Please also know that anything that I might do isn't the cause of my illness. There is no cause, other then a faulty brain. Anything and everything I do that is out of the ordinary is instead merely the symptom of my condition. I'm tired of people telling me what is wrong with me. I do what I do to relieve my thoughts. Nothing more. Leave me alone with my thoughts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What'll likely happen in the next couple of years from Covid-19 spread

Honestly, I can't quite wrap my head around the fact governments allowed spread of misinformation that gave them cover to allow spread of this virus unchecked. Covid-19's not going to go away at this rate. Any and all mitigation efforts are left to the individual, and nary a care about society as a whole. Then again, I can believe what has happened. It's happened before, historically. Cholera was allowed to spread unchecked for decades before governments ever bothered to do anything about sanitation. TB was basically controlled on the private level and ignored on the social. Any and every virus/bacteria that could spread was allowed to spread unchecked without much effort to thwart spread from government officials. Edgar Allan Poe didn't write "The Masque of the Red Death" out of a sense of hope for what the rich and powerful were doing in regards to illness in the early 19th century, after all. No, I can believe what has happened, and quite easily. I come fro

Turkey, Russia, Syria

We've reached a new tipping point. Whether this will be localized to merely Turkey, or if it will involve numerous states (i.e., WWIII), is probably up to NATO's response to whatever Russia decides to do about Turkey. The nation of Turkey's been acting as a spoiler these past few years. A dangerous, and stupid, wildcard. It's been flooding Europe with refugees, and continually allowing radical Syrian militants safe haven within their borders. Russia probably won't attack Turkey, militarily, but instead economically. A not insignificant amount of Turkey's energy needs are met by Russian suppliers. NATO needs to find a way of appearing to have Turkey's back, while also burning Turkey's fingertips. If NATO backs Turkey unconditionally, then we're probably in for a cold and dark winter.

The way forward

I've been a in deep, deep depression these past couple years. I'm naturally manic-depressive, but I've also been genuinely sad, without an inkling of what I've needed to do in my personal life. I've been lost, and I've lost some friends. Well, I'm still lost, but I'm emerging from my sadness. I've taken a lot of time to think whilst in my funk. I'd been thinking, "How do we extricate ourselves out of this mess we've placed ourselves? What is the way forward?" I've found no answer. There's no clear path forward. There's no strategy, no long term plan that can really account for every possible setback that will occur. I suppose that's true of all plans, though. "Plans are worthless, but planning is everything." The solution then, I guess, is we need to wing it. Improvise. Get tough, and push forward. Suffer the pains from the blows we will receive, without flinching. Start moving forward to a place we wan